Laugh or Scream

Pretty much I react in two ways. I laugh or I scream. I prefer to laugh, so work with me, people!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Women Food and God

I'm about halfway through this book. Honestly, it's not the earth-shattering, life altering book Oprah made it out to be, however, it is a good book. The philosophy is simple: live in the moment. Simple idea. Impossible to execute. I envy people who can live in the moment. Really. Pea green with envy, here, but as much as I want to be that person, I can't get there.

I can't figure out if this is just a talent I simply don't have, or is it a discipline that only takes practice? I want to believe the latter is true, but I'm afraid I'm just not built that way. I think I'm doomed to be the sum of my past. I know that I have spent the last 10 years of my life licking wounds that are impossible to heal.

The rub is that they aren't meant to. They are what makes me who I am, but somewhere along the way I let them go from shaping me, strengthening me, to suffocating me, crippling me. I do know that for too long I have given too many people too much power over my emotional well-being.

This book isn't without its great life lessons. The question is, can I apply them?

Highlights from the book I'm trying to hold on to:

"If you start with the thing you find most beautiful and trace its perfume back to its essence, you will perceive an intangible presence, a swath of stillness that allows the thing you love to be visible like the openness of the sky reveals the present of the moon."

"Women turn to food when they are not hungry because they are hungry for something they can't name: a connection to what is beyond the concerns of daily life."

"You can't be stuck if you're not trying to get anywhere."

"... when we allow ourselves to feel the full heat of anger without expressing it, a mountain of strength and courage is revealed."

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I just finished that book a couple of weeks ago. I wrote down MANY of the quotes she said. When I got to the end and the "big secret," I was disappointed. Really let down. I kept thinking, "This is it? Really?"

    When I get back to my place I'll add whichever quote I loved the most.

    I miss you!
    J.

    ReplyDelete